Para Sport Education Program
The Abilities Centre Ottawa’s Para Sport Education Program offers a full day experience for schools and the community which will involve a presentation/introduction to adapted/para sports followed by an experiential learning opportunity where students / participants and staff will have the opportunity to try several different adapted / para sports.
Examples of some of the sports are :
- Wheelchair Basketball
- Wheelchair Curling
- Goal Ball
- Sledge Hockey
- Cross-Country Sit Skiing
- Beep Baseball/Kickball
This is an opportunity for students and staff alike to gain a better understanding of adapted/para sports and the importance of physical activity and quality participation for all. It is also an opportunity for teachers to gain a better understanding of how they can offer variations to participation within their class curriculum to meet the needs of students with a disability.
How much does it cost?
The Abilities Centre Ottawa Para Sport Education programming is provided to schools at a minimal fee of $250.00/day thanks to the generous support of Canadian Tire Jumpstart. Please note: Financial assistance is available for those schools that may require it.
The centrepiece of Ottawa's Abilities Centre will be the Field House, comprising
- three full-sized basketball courts (one converts to an indoor soccer pitch)
- a 200-metre six-lane track for training, rehabilitation and national/international competitive events.
The Field House will be surrounded by
- exercise rooms with universally accessible cardio/fitness and weight-training equipment
- fully accessible locker rooms, shower rooms and bathrooms
- life skills training rooms equipped with kitchens and bathrooms designed to facilitate recovery from debilitating illness or accident and to regain independence
- a theatre
- music and art spaces to support the Centre's recreational and leisure programs (spaces that could also be rented to other community groups when needed)
- a therapeutic pool
- 15,000 square feet of commercial rental space specifically designed to accommodate sport organizations (for athletes and Para-athletes), which will benefit from economies of scale, shared infrastructure costs and coordinated services and programs.
Equipped in these ways, the Abilities Centre Ottawa will, in addition to fulfilling its primary role as an inclusive and accessible recreational facility, serve Ottawa as a
- designated 'emergency preparedness centre' uniquely equipped to provide care and support to all persons with and without disabilities at times of major catastrophe (flood, power outage, toxic spill, ice storm, security threat, etc.)
- site for local, regional, provincial, national or international competitions
- resource to Ottawa's health services professionals pursuing innovative research into recreation and its established and potential role in healthy living and rehabilitation
- facility space that can be rented for large events